Musical Instruments

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Creative Space – Does Your Writing Space Help or Hinder?

By Tiffany Brooks

Ask yourself the following questions:

1. What method do you use to compose? (i.e. pen and paper, on a computer or writing on an instrument?)
2. Where do you write music?
3. Do you write music in the same place or do you often change places?
4. If you have dedicated a space, does that space inspire you?

These are important questions to ask because it brings insight into why you may or may not be writing and what you need in order to feel inspired. For example, I write in a room that I’ve made into my studio. I call it tdbstudio and I’ve decorated it to inspire me to write. I believe that when I’m writing that I have help from other sources (i.e. spiritual) and I want to make sure that I don’t hinder the flow of creativity that is making its way to me. But that’s just me. I’m a stationary writer that composes on the computer as well as on the piano. My studio accommodates both methods of writing.

You need to find out what method works best for you to compose music. Do you naturally write with pen and paper? Do you compose on an instrument? Or do you sit in front of a computer using a notation program or a music sequencer? Your writing method is one part of determining your creative space needs.

Does a new environment stimulate your creativity and inspire you to write? Or are you more comfortable being in a dedicated space in which you’ve created? Some writers just need to be in a quiet place with beautiful and inspirational surroundings. They may be the pen and paper type that becomes motivated to write in different places. Others may prefer to remain stationary and have a dedicated space in which they can write. With technology allowing us to be mobile, we can take our laptops and PDA’s and have instant access to tools to help us write anywhere. Or we can dedicate a space and gain inspiration from what we put into the space.

In my article entitled “Make a Commitment to Write Music Everyday” I talked about ways in which you could form the habit of writing everyday. One of the reasons some have a hard time forming this habit may be because they do not know enough about themselves as writers. They have not explored whether they are nomadic or stationary writers. They don’t know what inspires them to write. I want you to examine this subject and see whether or not your surroundings could hinder you from performing at peak level. Your writing environment may have a lot to do with this and it is worth exploring.

In the future, be more cognizant of your nature and accommodate it by providing the right in environment to create. Remember, your surroundings do make a difference so please do not take it for granted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.